Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office

Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office 5 years, 4 months ago #667

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office

Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Jenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLIVER

Re: Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office 5 years, 4 months ago #686

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
I have looked at this photo a few times, and would be interested if anyone can shed any light on the large building on the right side. I recognise the old Spar (Horsler's) in the far right and the next nearest house but not the large house, I assume this is the plot the old doctors surgery was built on?

Re: Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office 5 years, 4 months ago #708

The building on the right was the home of Austin & Constance Beechener, next door was Mr & Mrs Darnell. At the side of the building down a driveway, were some large farm type buildings containing old machinery and cars. The Post Office was a General Store, in 1960's , owned by Mr Llewellyn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jenna

Re: Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office 5 years, 4 months ago #709

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you for this information, I did build a land map recently from the OS 1900 map to try and work out who lived where ... copy below

From your information the plot should be that shaded purple, the northern house in the block being the Austin & Constance Beechener and the southern house being Mr & Mrs Darnell with the associated barns behind.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Jenna.

Re: Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office 5 years, 4 months ago #720

Sorry to mislead - Darnell's house was next to the alley, going south the next plot was Beechener's house. The Valuers Rating book 1927, held in BLARS, shows owner and occupier as A E Beechener, a detached house , Stable and cart shed. Darnell's house was occupied by Will Brasier, owned by A E Beechener and comprised detached house and workshop. Behind was a saw shed and cart sheds owned by Brasier. Couple of pics showing Beecheners house, in 1987 The Beauty Bonnet hairdresser, and Horslers Shop follow

Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by agedbookworm. Reason: Added Pics
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jenna

Re: Album 1, #001 The Old Post Office 5 years, 4 months ago #721

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
no apology needed, it's great to get the information.

Its funny now I have seen the top photo of 'The Beauty Bonnet' I do actually remember it!

I remember there was like small paved flat area in front of the shop, and I may be wrong but was it painted a weird colour... a sort of soft purple or lilac?

I also now remember Horsler's shop much better, that photo is pre 'Spar' with the butchers shop at the Luton end

In a conversation with Richard Beeceher at the Barton & District History Group meeting Richard said the family had owned a smithy some where in the area, the 1901 Os Map shows one next to the telephone exchange ( and has been recently demolished) but I wonder if this building may have a connection too.

I will re draw the land map in the next day or two
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
You are here: Village discussion forum