• Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton

Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #611

• admin
  • Administrator
Well by now most residents should have received the flyer from DLP Consulting Group Ltd outlining their proposals for development at Barton Le Clay.

For some this may be the first that they have heard of this development in any detail which is documented as including approximately 500 homes, a retail centre, employment land, a middle school, a retirement village, provision of self build plots, a 200 bedroom country hotel and conference facility, gym and other leisure facility, allotments, petrol station and associated infrastructure......

For some this is the latest twist in the long discussed proposal to build on land in a triangle too the north of the village located between Higham Road, Fieldon House (Gravenhurst Road, Silsoe) and Speed the Plough.

DLP Consulting Group Ltd will be presenting a Public Exhibition to the village on 7th and 8th June 2012 from the St Nicholas Church Hall between 4pm and 7.30pm each evening.

Please let us know your views, could the village benefit from this development or do you feel that it would swap the village? in the past the villages had one major development is a second necessary or could a better site be found if needs must?

Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by admin.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #612

• ilovetwins
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi tonight we got the flyer for the public exhibition, does anyone know anything about this? I have only just heard, and the flyer doesnt mention a website. I don't think Barton needs an expansion of that size, 500 extra houses alone would add another quarter to the population of Barton, I think this would have a great strain on the surgery, nursery, infants etc. And another middle school? What would happen to Arnold Middle, and last and not least - what about the lovely country side surrounding us, what a shame. I will be going along to the exhibition next week, hopefully I will get some answers.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #613

• Chunky
  • Expert Boarder
Here we go again, this development has been hanging over the village for years and its back again... think this one should RIP!

The reason why they want to build another secondary school is that by building a new one Arnold School will become obsolete and that will give them the excuse too build on that land too (planners are never just looking at the short term gain!), same happened with the bypass and the Grange estate.... you don't get anything for free in this life!!!!

I will attend the public meeting but its going to take a lot to convince me even a tiny proportion of these 500 plus new houses alone are justified.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #616

• Chunky
  • Expert Boarder
I keep reading about 500 new homes but this just a fancy statistic, it may be 500 new homes but with the self builds and the retirement plots that must be more realisticly 600 or 650!, this all very vague which is probably more worrying than the development itself.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #617

• admin
  • Administrator
For the record the Community Website has been approached by several media outlets (both local and national) and has made no comment until more facts are forth coming.

We have approached DLP Consulting Group Ltd (Mr Matthew Turnbull) whom arranged a meeting via phone with the companies Director (Mr Simon James) to discuss this development proposal, however Mr James was unable to attend this meeting when we called at the allotted time. Therefore no information has been forth coming at this point from DLP Consulting Group Ltd.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #618

• TonySW
  • Fresh Boarder
I was told today the parish council were aware of this months ago and have said nothing can any one confirm this?

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #621

• TonySW
  • Fresh Boarder
from the DLP website.."Public presentation in this form brings the opportunity to establish a dialogue with local people and handled with sensitivity and skill can often contribute to minimising local objection to development in advance of an application...." so the point of the presentation is not to inform us of their plans but to be fore warned of the objections they will get at planning!

More I read about this mob the less I like them!!!

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #622

• TonySW
  • Fresh Boarder
I also notice that SDC are one of their 'clients', wonder if that's a coincidence!

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #625

• Villager1
  • Fresh Boarder
Here we go again another attempt to completely destroy Barton Village. Remember in the early 1990's and the creation of the new estate?
We were promised a petrol station/motel/restaurant/function rooms/community hall/play area, etc by then then developer.
What did we get? Answer:- Nothing but Houses If you don't believe me I still have their proposal plans.
This time what have they promised, you will have seen the leaflet, its the same old come on. Put down everything
they think they need, just to get approval then all we will give them is houses.
The whole village must unite to kill this proposal before it gets off the ground. I have it in writing that Nadine Dorries is
against the scheme, also Central Beds Council. So come on people of Barton get to that Exhibition, and give them hell.
They must not be allowed to destroy our village, we have seen enough development in Barton, the road infrastructure
is straining now, and that's even before the latest developments at the Wixams and Silsoe come on stream.
Action is needed now, before it is too late !!!!!!!

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #627

• Apothecary
  • Fresh Boarder
Valid point about unfulfilled promises. Also about strain on local infrastructure and resources. Heaven knows its difficult enough to get an appointment with your chosen doctor now but with over 500 homes containing over 500 “families” it can only get worse!
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
You are here: Village discussion forum